Monday, April 21, 2014

can we sin now?

That is the question that Hannah asked me this morning after we had a conversation about why I was home and what I was planning on doing today. Included on the list was a trip to Costco.

Costco was the epitome of "sin" for me over Lent. Everything in big, bulky packaging and individually wrapped. There are few exceptions there, like mangos, but for the most part it was not a place to be ventured into.

So, when Hannah heard that I was going to Costco today, her first question was, "can we sin now?" because she wanted me to buy string cheese.

Can we sin now?
dumping my "sin" box

I emptied my "sin box" yesterday. It was mostly filled with microwave popcorn wrappers.

Most of the items in the box where items of convenience. I could have made popcorn myself and it would have produced less waste, but I chose to do it the easy way knowing that there was a place for me to put my sin; a place where my sin would be eradicated on Easter morning as I dumped into the trash can. The connection between my "sin box" and the resurrection are clear... I trust you them to make them yourselves.

But this morning after Easter I am pondering how many times we turn our backs on things that we know we should do out of convenience or inconvenience...

how many times do we not give to those who ask because we don't want to stop and take the time?
how many times do we buy things heavily wrapped in plastic because we don't want to take the time to make them ourselves?
how many times do we simply go through the drive thru because we didn't make time to prepare something beforehand?


Sins of convenience are about taking the easy way. My journey of no trash this Lent has made me aware that there are many other alternatives to the simple way. Some of these ways I will continue...

like bringing my own cloth napkin/silverware to restaurants
using my metal straw
composting
not putting my english muffins on a paper towel in the morning, but using a plate
using my cloth bags at the store

Some things I won't continue...
like shaking my hands dry when I forget to bring a towel with me into the public bathroom


This endeavor has made more aware of packaging and waste, it has made more aware of freshness of food and has made me enjoy cooking (kinda). I have appreciated the challenge of Lent this year. It has made me aware and thoughtful about my witness and how we care for creation. I hope that you, too, found your journey from Ash Wednesday to Easter to be one that challenged you and prepared you to celebrate Easter morning.

It's time for me to eat my Girl Scout Cookies now. They have been waiting for me. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment